Friday, May 21, 2010

How this whole thing got started

Last year my brother Bob who is a trucker, sent me a message about a poster he saw in the Dakota's about the Hoka Hey Challenge and suggested it would be a great ride if I was interested. I checked it out and read through the details. My first thought was it's for a good cause and the second thought was, what an incredible logistics challenge. 7000 miles in two weeks starting from Key West Florida and ending in Homer Alaska. I knew where Key West was but never heard of Homer and never been to Alaska either.

I contemplated the whole idea and thought wouldn't it be a nice ride. It was only a matter of a few weeks while at work that I kept thinking how difficult it would be to travel that far on a motorcycle by yourself and in such a short amount of time. To qualify as a Warrior, you have to arrive in Homer, AK no later than July 4th which is two weeks from the start in Key West on June 20th. The thought of the prize ($500k) never factored into my decision. It was all about the challenge and whether I had the "guts" to even complete such a journey. As I look at my scale, I know I have the guts, but it's now more about the Mental Fortitude. (fortitude-Strength of mind that enables a person to encounter danger or bear pain or adversity with courage)

Since I submitted my application and became accepted as a challenger in Nov. 09, I have now committed myself to see this life changing (or life ending) event through. I have played out many scenarios of the logistics challenge in my mind which includes weather, camping (rules say you have to sleep outside each night), fuel stops, mechanical issues, physical stamina (butt and back aches), food and water needs. Oh yea, and the occasional mad or careless car driver and critter crossings large and small. I can deal with bugs in the teeth, but deer and moose meat at 55 mph is tough to chew. I have also contemplated the route expected based on what I have read through the websites information. As the rules go, you will not know the exact routes and do's and dont's until they are handed to you at the start on June 20th. This also makes it challenging and keeps people honest. There will be several checkpoints along the route but you don't know which states you will be driving in next until you reach these checkpoints where the organizers will validate your movements and that you are who you are. Any sign of cheating or speeding and a rider is disqualified. Safety is the number one priority for this event. I intend to use some safety tips that I also learned at work and be as proactive as possible to avoid injury.

It's at these checkpoints, that my Support Team Karen (worried wife) and Trish (co-worried friend) will meet and greet me (if they don't get lost) and basically offer moral support and subsistence for my brief stops. I plan to use this checkpoint "pitstop" to replace dirty clothes or exchange light for heavy gear depending on the climate, replenish my MRE's, hose down the bike and body, spend 10 minutes with a chiropractor and move on to the next checkpoint. It's anticipated we will travel through 62 Mountain Ranges, 33 Indian Reservations, 26 National Forests, 8 Deserts, 6 National Parks and 4 Swamps. Having to cross into Canada on my way to Alaska could be another challenge as well, aye?

I've pretty much checked and rechecked, made my lists of things to consider and most probably will not be able to cover everything to prepare for such a journey. I will travel as light as possible as weight equals drag and drag means more fuel stops. Time is valuable but so is enjoying the trip and making the most out of any situation. I intend to document each days travel and send photos to this blog to share for others who want a good laugh and to see if I really have the hide and hair to complete such a trip. As I mentioned in an earlier blog, I intend to reflect in this trip on those who have served, "All gave some, some gave all", and offer my thoughts to the true warriors and their families that have faced greater challenges that this freedom ride I am going to embark on.

No comments:

Post a Comment